20100120

swiftest stallion

It was on a south-bound train, a few hours out of Beijing, that my lens caught this painted mosaic beyond the track:

Train #1403 slumbers along at unremarkable speeds, but even still, I am not quick enough to make meaning of these Chinese characters. My camera often acts as my ancillary faculty, and this snapshot proved no exception.

I awaited the opportunity to discover the wisdom written into these characters, above these colorful stallions.

writing on the wall

人无我有,人有我优,人优我精,人精我名

the swiftest stallion eats the greenest grass?

A bit of digging and a first translation later, a summary: The individual that prospers does so, [such that or so that] the community may benefit from it; you may even end up benefiting the most.

Or... perhaps it's not so much about helping others at all.... it's about taking initiative and the rewards to be gained.

After writing and pondering over the above, I think it is quite similar to the words of the well-known Benjamin Franklin, a Deist: God helps those who help themselves.

More so, it seems to say that you need to keep one step ahead of your neighbor, if you want to succeed.

line by line
人无我有 [rén wú wǒ yǒu]
Where others all but lack, I must gain.
人有我优 [rén yǒu wǒ yōu]
Where others simply gain, I must excel.
人优我精 [rén yōu wǒ jīng]
Where others merely excel, I must prosper.
人精我名 [rén jīng wǒ míng]
Where others only prosper, I will have fame.
interpretation

It would seem these stallions are not out for a teasing trot, nor an easy canter. In fact, these stallions are neck and neck, all-out galloping.

This is my first attempt to translate such an idiom or poem, and I am reminded that poetry -especially- is up for interpretation. Poetry [and its interpretation] is depth reflecting on beauty.

That it faces the train tracks, seems that the mural was erected especially for those riding the rail.

Of the millions riding this coal-eating, iron-striding horse, I wonder how many eyes actually meet these words.

Or are they too busy, racing too quickly, to see?

Note: Access to Blogger is still blocked within China. Without access to a much appreciated VPN (proxy), I would be unable to publish to my blog from within mainland China. Thus, I am blessed and grateful to be sharing. With every post, I hereby protest the oppressive nature of the Chinese government blocking access to any part of the web.

4 comments:

  1. I love that your eye spotted this and you reflexively took a photograph of it. What a boring city Beijing will become when you leave!

    I like your translation. May I ask what led you to choose "prosper" for 精? I know that jing's original meaning is a fine grain of rice and that has connotations of material wealth, but 精 is usually related to an essence or ideal (MSG = 味精,the essence of taste!), so I might choose "to perfect" if I were to translate this...

    Lovely post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on a feeling, Will. For me, translation is more exact, while interpretation allows for more perspective.

    I also connected the dots, a bit. The element between excelling and becoming famous as a result -isn't there is an element of prosperity that one assumes would come with that package?

    I reserved comments and criticism on this piece, as to whether or not it 有道理 (has any truth to it.) It's not how I would've written it, in fact, as it doesn't follow my linear path between failure and success (nor do I think there is one.)

    I didn't think to use 'to perfect' as this didn't speak to me of perfection, only of having more. What supersedes having enough? Perhaps having it all. Those who have fame are thought to have everything (but we know this is not true.) If it hadn't been for the last line, 'to perfect' might have been a perfect fit, but fame just doesn't follow perfection for me. Also, perfection is not a realistic goal, while prosperity is attainable.

    Furthermore, my brain worked in reverse at times, and I was thinking that the person who enables others to prosper is well-regarded, even well-known. However, my feeling is that it doesn't apply here, that this phrase is less about the former enabling the latter, and more that if one is to succeed, than the latter must be one step above the rest. It seems to contradict the Western impression of Eastern collectivism, which is not to say it contradicts the modern reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks for indulging me with such a detailed description of your thought process. I love the twists and turns of subjective translation/interpretation. It's one of the few ways I've found that I can feel comfortable expressing myself, maybe because it's such a strange mix of objectivity (what is written in the base text and what the dictionary says) and sheer idiosyncrasy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jess!

    Such a great perspective. I really appreciate this post, and look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete