20091206

bipedal rule

technology keeps the tradition in modernity:
biking around the Drum Tower in Beijing's Gulou district

modernity

Quite literally, the bi-pedal of the past still rules in the present, here in China.

In the above scene, a bike-on-green light is situated directly on, if beneath, an automobile light pole.

The nation's fleet of cars is expanding with each breath, but the sturdy and trusty bicycle hangs onto its equally dependent market.

Beijing is a modern city; she shines with lights when the sun calls it a day and turns in for the night.

Compared to the village, Beijing is filling quickly with over-sized vehicles, mostly showy and excessive. The countryside and smaller towns (populations up to 8M residents!) are visibly more about use, with fashion giving way to function, the ritz giving way to rust.

But Beijing cannot resist what of the past lingers on in the modern times of today, nor can she deny what many are still happy to continue. The tradition of bicycles.

the bicycle

My bicycle is my friend, and surprisingly loyal at that! We're close to celebrating a 2-yr anniversary since I first rode her home and locked her safely with a simple plastic-sheathed chain lock. She has not aged well, but still she toils at my command.

Newsstands store a tire pump, thought they do not advertise this. Wheel tuners position themselves out of the wind and often out of the way, but they are always to be found, summer and winter.

While in any part of the city, a taxi awaits my hail, I can be assured that my bike will be patiently waiting my next outing, wherever I shall ride it.

And so, with the help of lighting and a few programmable logic controllers, I will continue to ride safely on the same asphalt lanes that bargain with cars for the advantage.

I am happy that somewhere between the ancient buildings of Beijing and the transportation of modernity, I may share the road and can continue to ride my bicycle.

Note: Access to Blogger is still blocked within China. Without access to a much appreciated VPN (proxy), I would be unable to publish to my blog from within mainland China. Thus, I am blessed and grateful to be sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment