20081031

dreaming in script

My black clothing served as a magnet for the penetrating rays of sunlight that cut through the crisp fall air. Out of the autumn breeze, a park bench seduced me into putting my feet up and letting my eyelids down...

This is an autumn day fit for lore.

It wasn't long before I awoke from my shallow slumber, nor was it from the soft hum of students walking past. It was something that I saw, something that flashed lucidly, whilst my eyes were yet closed.

Dreaming in China comes differently than it did before I came here. I often find myself plotting in a mixture of English and Mandarin, often centering around a newly learned word. It tells me that my 'small' brain is more capable than my 'big' brain, and simply goes to work after the night has conquered me.

Some say you only dream in another language when you reach fluency, but my experience is proof that it can occur at even earlier stages. Learning by osmosis seems to be more efficient (and less painstaking) than what my 'big' brain can accomplish when most alert.

Today I did not dream in tongues; instead, I dreamt in script.

A Mandarin character flashed in irridescent green superimposed upon the blackness of my closed eyes. It shone brightly as as does the back of a great flower beetle.

(traditional) vs. (simplified)


The fact that I dreamt the above character above is interesting on a couple of levels.

The first question I had to ask is why did this character come to me in my sleep? Not only did a Mandarin character appear, but it's meaning attached is also very intriguing!

Secondly, the character appeared in its 'traditional' form. This form is not found in daily use within mainland China (who uses only 'simplified' characters); it can only be found in places such as Taiwan, Japan, and Korea.

The left and right side of the character each represent a meaning and/or a sound. For example, ‘言’ means "language" (or "words") and ‘京’ means "capitol" (or "great"). Together, they mean 'words that are great or grand'... i.e, trust or forgiveness.

Here is a great site that can provide insight into the geneology (etymology) of Chinese characters, in particular, this character above.

I looked up this character several months ago, but as it is not often I speak of 'forgiving' (thankfully the need is not great!), there is no immediate inkling as to why I thought of this character. In fact, I have never written this character, and have not studied it outside of looking it up [once] for its pronunciation.

So, how has it come to pass that this very character came to me in my sleep, in its ancient form? I may not ever find out, but I will at least simmer satisfied in its revelation for some time to come!

A few more brain blots that spilled after the slumber.
¨ ¨ ¨
A shadow follows not the light.

¨ ¨ ¨
A pen cannot trace its own shadow.

¨ ¨ ¨
The sky is constant, but its weather, not.

No comments:

Post a Comment