20081222

bibbee • blue • bbc

Today, I get to share a photo with the world:


BBC Theme: BLUE


Actually, it was *published* on 17-Dec, but thanks to a friend back home in the Keweenaw, I was alerted [today] that my submission had been chosen for 1 of 10 photos selected for the BBC photo theme of BLUE.


It's the second time I have submitted a photo, but the first time my photo was selected. Sometimes you just get lucky!

Most exciting, is getting to share it with so many people, all over the world.

For more photos from the same trip, take a peek at my photo site:


Enjoy!

p.s. 'spose I oughta comment on the pic itself:

Traveling with my good friend Mathieu, we flew down to southern China (Guangxi Province) and signed up for [my first] ticketed tour. First a 40-minute bus-ride with 40 other foreigners and an enthusiastic tour guide to the Li River, some distance south of Guilin. We boarded a boat that held approximately 100 people and spent the next 4 hours forging down the beautiful river amongst the beautiful and famous Guilin scenery - mountains jutting from the river into the sky.

We stayed at the Galaxy Hotel (recommended) in Yangshuo and spent the next day riding rented bicyles in the rain and getting lost in the countryside. Just gorgeous. More than familiar with foreigners, it had a different feeling than Beijing (where foreigners are still uncommon). The food, the people... everything was wonderful - and very personable.

After making our way back to Guilin (where we would catch a train back to the North), we decided to check out the *scenic* sites... one of which was the Reed Flute Caves. The artificial fluorescent blue lighting, reflecting off a pool of water, made for a rock concert (yes, there was even music played from speakers) like I may never see again.

Mathieu and I chuckled as we listened to traditional Chinese music from speakers and passed up an opportunity (or three?) to take pictures with the giant tortoise that was the celebrity of the underground. It was a cave like I've never seen.

And that is [part of] the story of the BLUE photo you see here....

1 comment: